Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Snowball Effect: A Few Confessions

It has been awhile since my last post, but I have spent all that time studying for my BIG test and am proud to say that I passed! Next up is my national exam March 10.

So how has that healthy lifestyle been working out for me while I've been busy you might ask? And the truth is not so great, terrible actually. I am sad to say that when I got super busy with internship-studying-work mayhem, I fell back into my former pre-healthy, sugar-filled, couch potato lifestyle. I know, so terrible. And the truth is I don't feel great either. I have to confess that I haven't worked out in a week, and I have been eating sweets like crazy (Thank you Valentine's Day!).

When I was thinking where I went wrong, I realized it started with one choice to have a "cheat day", which then turned into a weekend, which then snowballed into week, and now two weeks. Once I made one unhealthy choice, it became harder to say no, and that little voice that was like "well since you already had something unhealthy today, might as well just keep going" got easier to listen to. Once that snowball starts rolling, it is hard to stop.

It's not that I am against occasionally having ice cream or candy or all those other good foods. I am so for sweets and being able to enjoy them. It's when that one indulgence turns into a habit where there is a problem. The key word is occasional. Obviously I am still trying to perfect this. (Twizzlers are just so good!)

From this experience I learned a lesson: every time you make a healthy choice it makes the next healthy choice easier, but if you make the unhealthy choice it can snowball from one unhealthy choice to an unhealthy week. This week my goal is to get back to the gym 3-4 times no matter how tired I may be, to not eat sweets, and to drink more water. What are your healthy goals for the week?


No comments:

Post a Comment