Thursday, February 2, 2012

Smaller Portions, Bigger Impact

I love food.

I really really love food.

As a result, I typically would eat a lot at meals. It was a running joke between my husband and me that I would routinely out eat him. What resulted was me having that "super full" feeling after you've eaten too much. When I started trying to be more aware of being healthy, I thought I was going to have to throw out a bunch of my favorite recipes (which as previously stated, I love food, especially good food, so this thought didn't exactly make me too happy). What I realized though was that most of the recipes I was making were decently healthy, it was just our my portion size that was out of control. I realized this needed to change and so I gradually decreased the amount I was eating to a more healthy portion, and to stop eating when I felt full, not when my plate was cleared. When I did this I realized that yes, I could eat a smaller, healthier portion and still feel full, and then not have those full and guilty feelings from eating too much. I also started being more intentional about making sure I also put veggies with the main course, which also helps to fill me up.

I would not have be able to make a radical change from my large serving to the smaller one, but I had to gradually make it smaller to the right size (serving sizes are great suggestions!). (I'm not saying reduce your serving to a spoonful-key word is HEALTHY serving size!) Notice this change didn't alter what I was eating, it was the amount I was eating. I have seen such a huge difference in how I feel just by this little change. I don't have the 'uggghhh' feeling like you can't move after a big meal; I feel like I can actually get up and do things after dinner!

Here's to another little change towards a healthier lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment